Sunday, April 13, 2008

Tympanoplasty: Operation Day

I had a procedure called a Tympanoplasty to repair a hole in my left eardrum. I was instructed not to eat or drink anything, not even water, the night before my operation. I showed up to the hospital at 6:30 am, dressed in comfortable sweat pants and warm clothing as the doctor suggested. My husband came with me as someone had to drive me home after the surgery as it was an out-patient procedure. I had never been put under general anesthesia, so I must admit I was a little afraid.

I laid there as they put on the IV, and the last thing I remember is speaking with the anesthesiologist. The procedure was short, before I knew it the operation was over. From the check-in process until the anesthesia wore off enough to go home, it had been a total of about 2 hours. When I woke up, my ear was gauzed up and taped. I had some pain (not a lot), but they gave me a painkiller in the IV which made quite comfortable and sent me home with a prescription for Vicodin and an anti-biotic.

I went straight home, ate a soup, took two Vicadin pills and the anti-biotic, and fell asleep. I was also instructed to keep my head propped up with some pillows for two nights and to 'take it easy'. Taking it easy meant being off from work for about 1 week and specifically the following:

No lifting
No getting up too fast
No bending down, if you must, bend at knees
Cough slowly
If you sneeze, don't hold it in, sneeze with your mouth open
Don't drink with a straw
No jumping, running, etc

The nurse recommended that I don't wait for pain to take the medication, to just take 2 pills every four hours. I followed the instructions exactly for the first day, and it was perfect for me. I had no pain whatsoever and I was nice and relaxed while laying in bed. I am an active 31 year old who gets restless easily, so the medication also helped to stay in bed as I got drowsy. I pretty much stayed stayed horizontal for the first two days and slept a lot to avoid doing anything too strenuous. Additionally, I took an over the counter stool softener that my doctor friend recommended as you should avoid straining and constipation can be caused by 1) Medications 2) Lack of exercise. With a Tympanoplasty you might want to stay in bed a few days, but you are definitely told not to exercise for at least 1 week. After 1 week, you can return to some aerobic activity, such as light walking on a threadmill, but you aren't allowed to do anything too heavy (so no jumping, running, crunches, or weightlifting for a while).

4 comments:

Maureen said...

Hi,
I have been searching for information about tympanoplast. Thank you so much for sharing. I had mine done on April 23rd, so I'm right behind you. I don't return to my physician untilMay 22.
The anxiety of not knowing whether I will hear makes me very nervous. I can barely hear the dial tone on my operated ear and continue with ringing. I know I'm only 5 days post op, but please keep me posted on your progress.

Unknown said...

Have anyone here had tympanoplasty surgery using an artificial graft to get eardrum repaired recently?

Unknown said...

I had one with artificial graft membrane, hope it works.

Unknown said...

More than two weeks suffering now. The eardrum hole is still there. Artificial membrane did not work for me.