Monday, April 14, 2008

Tympanoplasty: Days 2-4

On the second day, my husband had been instructed to remove the tape around my ear and clean the stitches daily. The cleaning of the stitches was easy, consisting of a rub-down with hydrogen peroxide followed by an anti-biotic ointment (Neosporin).

I was told by my doctor it was best to wait a little and not shower until the third day, at which time I had to be very careful not wet my ear. Basically, I was only to have a body shower. On day two, I was still pretty drowsy and sleepy, but I personally only experienced two incidents of nausea (one on day 1 shortly after returning home from the operation, and another on this the second day when I got up to get the tape removed from my ear).

It was great to have home-made food, mainly clear soups that didn't require a lot of chewing. My family was great and brought things over that my husband only had to microwave. By day three, I was sitting up, but not moving a whole lot. I walked VERY slowly on purpose as I wanted to make sure not to do anything to hurt myself.

No comments: